T. Bruce Simpson, Jr Of Counsel
Location Lexington, Kentucky
T. Bruce Simpson, Jr. serves as Counsel to firm, adding his preeminent zoning and land use experience to the firm’s Real Estate and Litigation Practices.
For more than 25 years, Bruce has represented individuals and businesses in a variety of land use and zoning issues across the state. While his work is focused on representing owners and developers in land use, zoning, and real estate matters, he also maintains an active litigation practice. Bruce has been lead counsel in a number of high-profile litigation cases including one that was featured on the CBS television news magazine show, “60 Minutes”.
For his many legal accomplishments, Bruce was named a Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America® for the sixth time in 2022. As further testament to his leadership and expertise, he is frequently called upon to speak on land use topics at legal education seminars and public policy forums. He is past president of the Fayette County Bar Association and a past president of the Fayette County Bar Association Pro Bono Program, Inc.
For many years, Bruce has been actively involved in non-profit organizations whose primary focus is on advocating for and protecting victims of child abuse. He is a past chairperson and currently serves on the administrative board of the Children’s Advocacy Center of the Bluegrass, Inc. Bruce is a veteran having served on active duty with the United States Army.
Real Estate: Bruce assists clients in nearly all aspects of real estate planning, zoning and land use. He provides counsel on tax increment financing (TIF), governmental development incentives, historic preservation, variances, conditional use permits, text amendments, building permits, floodplain management and administrative appeals.
Business Litigation: Serving as lead counsel and strategic advisor, Bruce helps businesses and individuals handle disputes on a wide range of matters, from unmet contractual obligations to professional negligence.
Eminent Domain & Real Estate Litigation: Bruce advocates on behalf of clients in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. When court actions are taken against a property that affect its value or use, Bruce provides representation that helps owners achieve a satisfactory resolution. For clients engaged in a stalemate over issues such as land acquisitions, he devises and takes the steps necessary to help their businesses and projects move forward.
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, 1995-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2008-present
- Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use Lawyer of the Year, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association, Past President
- Children’s Advocacy Center of the Bluegrass, Past President of Board of Directors, 2011-present, Board Member
- Bluegrass Tomorrow, Board of Directors, 2012-2019
- Fayette County Bar Association Pro Bono Program, 1998-1999
- Advising Board for University of Kentucky Center for Children and Study of Violence Against Children
- University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D.
- University of Kentucky, MSW
- University of Kentucky, B.A.
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky